Of all NHS providers in England, the Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust offers the widest range of services.
The EstatesDirectorate is looking to hire a Senior Specialist Engineer (mechanical) with high motivation to coordinate, design, and supervise mechanical engineering maintenance works, major repairs, and plant replacement, as well as to take on big revenue works projects from idea to completion.
In order to support the provision of care to our patients, your main goal will be to lead and develop a team of engineers and trade staff in the safe operation and maintenance of the mechanical infrastructure throughout one of the largest hospital sites in the nation.
Interview: April 27, 2023
37 hours and 30 minutes per week
You will be taken to Trac to submit an application for the position. Before applying for the position, please read the entire section on the job details.
Main responsibilities of the job
You will exhibit great organizational abilities and be able to coordinate, manage, inspire, and direct resources, including internal workers and specialized contractors.
The position will demand you to plan a sizable workload, which may require you to communicate with the Trust’s technical and professional colleagues as well as, most significantly, clinical teams where they are employed.
Moreover, financial management is a crucial component of the job, making understanding of budget management, SFIs, and procurement channels crucial.
You should be well-versed in mechanical building services such household hot and cold water systems, ventilation, steam, medical gas, and high and low temperature hot water.
You must show that you have a thorough awareness of best practices as they are outlined in CIBSE guidelines, British Standards, Building Regulations, etc.
When necessary, you may also be needed to communicate with outside organizations like building inspectors and city planners.
The successful applicant would typically be able to demonstrate relevant work experience of working with large scale, highly complex building services infrastructure. The successful applicant would typically be educated to degree level or be able to demonstrate comparable equivalent experience in an engineering related subject.
Once you become established in the role and gain site knowledge, you will be invited to take part in an on-call rotation for emergencies relating to engineering that occur after business hours.
With over 18,000 employees and a £1 billion annual revenue, Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is one of the busiest, largest, and most effective teaching NHS foundation trusts in the nation.
We have a long history of offering high quality care, clinical excellence, and innovation in medical research in the region, country, and world. In 2019, the CQC rated us as “Outstanding” for the second time in a row.
We’re also pleased to rank second in the nation among providers of specialized services. This means that we provide help for persons with a variety of uncommon and complex medical, surgical, neurological, cancerous, and genetic disorders.
Each year, our workforce manages 1.84 million patient “contacts” while providing high-quality medical care.
We are dedicated to advancing diversity and equality and understand the advantages of creating an inclusive atmosphere. We value and respect the diversity of our staff and endeavor to hire people who are qualified to provide the highest level of patient care while also reflecting the communities we serve. No matter a person’s race, handicap, gender, sexual orientation, religion or belief, age, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or motherhood, or, in particular, whether they are from an underrepresented group, we welcome all applications.
● The post holder will be in charge of developing and implementing plans for the effective and secure operation and upkeep of all Estates components within the Trust in collaboration with Estates Manager Operations (higher) and the Senior Building Officer.
● Will play a senior managerial role in the long- and short-term capital planning and backlog management for Estates engineering components.
● Strive to adhere to the estates’ financial policies and standing financial orders.
● Participate in/chair meetings; communicate with coworkers about operational difficulties.
● to take part in Estates’ on-call emergency service during non-business hours.
● Control all Estates engineering personnel, specialized contractors, and consultants.
● Assure site services are available around-the-clock.
● As needed, fill in for the Estates Manager Operations (higher).
We want to make sure that you can work in a way that is beneficial for us, our patients, and you because we are a flexible working organization. Talk with us about the possibility of allowing a flexible work arrangement. We will try our best to make it work for you if it works for the service.
Please be aware that all successful applicants who need a DBS for the position they have been given must pay for their DBS certificate in order to be considered by The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
Your first month’s pay will be deducted from your salary as the method of payment.
Education & Qualifications
● degree-level education or comparable work experience
● extensive post-degree experience and master’s level expertise in Mechanical Engineering services
● possession of a full UK driving license
● joining a professional organization
● management diploma
Knowledge & Experience
● background in mechanical engineering services
● comprehensive knowledge of hospital rules, practices, and operational activities
● Senior-level expertise in estates management, similar to that found in big acute teaching hospitals, has been attained through considerable experience and attendance at specialized training sessions.
● theoretical understanding of different healthcare procedures in NHS Alerts, construction standards and practices, engineering issues, hospital technical memoranda, health building notes, health facilities notes, planning permission, building control, transport, etc.
Capabilities & Skills
● superior communication abilities
● Display effective man-management abilities.
Certificate of Sponsorship
Job applicants who need existing skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome to apply, and their applications will be taken into consideration together with those from everyone else. Visit the UK Visas and Immigration website for more details (Opens in a new tab).
For entrance clearance into the UK, skilled worker applicants must now submit criminal record certificates from each nation in which they have lived continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more during the previous ten years as of April 6, 2017. Adult dependents who are over the age of 18 must also meet this condition. You can get advice here.
Criminal background checks for applicants from abroad (Opens in a new tab).